Rajan D Gupta
Partner - Corporate/M&A and Taxation
Rajan is a Corporate Lawyer as well as a Rank Holder Chartered Accountant with over 25 years’ professional experience in Corporate & Commercial laws, M&A Transactions, Restructuring, Infrastructure Projects and Taxation (including GST) etc.
Besides, Rajan is also a qualified Insolvency Resolution Professional licensed by Insolvency & Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI).
Rajan has extensive experience of working on M&A Transactions/Corporate Re-Structuring, Joint Ventures & Collaborations, Private Equity Transactions, structuring, negotiation and drafting of various types of Commercial Contracts/Agreements including EPC/Concession Contracts, Project Finance Documentation, Due Diligences, FDI matters, advising/strategizing/briefing on corporate/commercial litigation matters etc for various large transnational and Indian clients. He has advised clients from various sectors like - Real Estate & Construction; Hospitality; Roads & Highway; Private Equity; Oil & Gas; Manufacturing; FMCG; Professional Services; Print, Electronic & Digital Media; NBFC; Logistics; IT and ITES etc.
During years 2008-10, Rajan lead an advisory team of lawyers (from law firm Fox Mandal) which advised Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India on various aspects of undertaking reforms in Indian corporate insolvency/bankruptcy & security enforcement laws and laws regarding closing of business in India which has now culminated in new Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code 2016. During the advisory assignment, conducted comprehensive study of international best practices, prepared concept notes, conducted presentations before the Committee of Secretaries and assisted the MCA in formulating the overall Conceptual Framework of proposed integrated insolvency/bankruptcy code. Also provided assistance in drafting of winding up/insolvency related provisions in the Companies Bill which was later enacted as Companies Act 2013.
In addition, Rajan has extensive experience of working on taxation advisory projects, litigation support and tax reviews/due diligence for various large multinational and Indian clients. He has top quality experience of appearances before tax adjudication and appellate authorities including ITAT, CESTAT, High Court and Supreme Court.
Before commencing Chambers of Rajan & Indraneel, Rajan was associated with the following leading firms in senior/partner capacities: Vaish Associates, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Khaitan & Co., Fox Mandal, SRGR Law Offices.
Pro Bono Work & Others
- On request of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), revised the Indirect Tax study material of C.A. (Final) in years 2001, 2002 & 2003.
- Helped the ICAI in preparation of background materials in Indirect Taxes for its various Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Programmes during period from 2001 onwards.
- Reviewed many tax articles written by various authors for publication in ICAI Journal.
- Addressed several TV programmes on various TV channels on tax and corporate issues.
- Authored and co-authored various published Articles on taxation and corporate law issues.
- Conducted various workshops on Corporate Laws, M&A, Insolvency & Restructuring, GST and Taxation etc for clients and industry associations including ICAI, International Indian Bar Association, PwC, CII, National Law University Jodhpur, Jindal Global Law School, Khaitan & Co., FoxMandal Little, Convention-Pro, Singapore, Hannover Business Fair in Germany (for VDMA), seminars in Japan, etc.
Rajan holds following professional memberships/ accreditations
- Fellow Member of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- Enrolment with Bar Council of Delhi
- Qualified Insolvency Resolution Professional
- Member of Delhi High Court Bar Association
- Member New Delhi Bar Association
In his professional career spanning over two decades, Rajan has extensive experience of executing and leading on:
- Countless number of transactions in M&A /Corporate Structuring/ JV & Collaborations with transaction values ranging from INR 13 Crs (USD 2 millions) to INR 2700 Crs (USD 400 millions);
- Many dozens of Private Equity / Venture Capital Investment Transactions (both investor and investee sides separately) with wide range of transaction values;
- Advising and acting in more than 60 Infrastructure Projects and Project Finance Transactions [including Highway Projects, Power Projects (Hydro, Thermal, Solar and Wind projects), SEZ, Power Transmission, Metro Project, Warehousing, Corporate Farming etc;
- Advising and representing clients on more than 40 insolvency and restructuring relating matters;
- Himself Acted as court appointed Resolution professional (RP) in two cases and as Liquidator in four cases.
- A very wide range of large and Complex Commercial Contracts/EPC/Concession Contracts/Project Finance & Securitisation Documentation/Software Development Contracts/IT Contracts/Mobile App Development Contracts;
- Provided legal advice to more than 250 large and medium multi-national and Indian companies.